Sunday, August 06, 2006

The only sports I like...



are the ones represented in cake. This was my project for Friday: a 3 layer chocolate dome cake with coconut frosting and a coating of unsweetened shredded coconut. This volleyball cake was requested by a friend of mine.



Summer is the time of year when I can't get enough of tropical flavors. When my little sister and some friends came to visit recently, I whipped up a batch of chocolate coconut cupcakes filled with coconut-lime pastry cream and topped with chocolate-coconut-lime frosting and toasted unsweetened coconut. These were sweetened mostly with brown rice syrup, and they were, of course, 100% whole grain.



Here are the spring rolls I mentioned wanting to make last week. We had these with mung bean patties.



I recently made cornmeal encrusted seitan steaks with a white wine, tomato, and caper reduction for dinner. I forgot to take a picture of them, but I used some of the leftovers for lunch on Friday. I was too lazy to get the cornmeal out, so I just sliced up some seitan and fried it in the cast iron skillet. I used the leftover sauce and fried up some zucchini on the side.

My mom owns a small diner, and she always finds herself with excessove amounts of bread ends that she's not quite sure what to do with. I'm looking forward to making some bread pudding! I am anticipating a stressful work week, so I'm definitely going to make use the BIG pan. Check back for the results!

12 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Mmm love all the coconut!

06 August, 2006 20:09  
Blogger Emmy said...

Love the volleyball cake. How cute. Those cupcakes sound absolutely fantastic! The spring rolls and seitan steaks look delicious too :)

07 August, 2006 06:05  
Blogger Cherie Anderson said...

You have such beautiful food! I love how you use healthful ingredients as well. :)

07 August, 2006 11:33  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

I found you through Cherie's Cuisine Creations. I like your blog! As a sports journalist, i had to smile at the pix and post!

Hello from San Diego to you.

Hope to visit here more often!!

Best,
K

07 August, 2006 12:56  
Blogger Jody from VegChic said...

The cake looks so cute and those chocolate coconut lime cupcakes sound great.

I made Dreena's coconut lime cookies last night and I think they may have beat chocolate chip cookies which used to be my fav.

Oh and seitan looks yummy!

07 August, 2006 13:34  
Blogger Melody said...

Looks great! Care to share your mung bean patty recipe?

07 August, 2006 15:21  
Blogger Megan the Vegan said...

I love your cake! Maybe I'll get up the courage to try it....at the end of the beach volley-ball season I'm going to have our team over for a BBQ!

The cornmeal encrusted seitan steaks sound brilliant!

07 August, 2006 16:20  
Blogger vegancookiemonster said...

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Megan C., maybe I'll make a coconut dessert for Wednesday.

Kleopatra, I love San Diego! What a wonderful, laid back city. We could all learn from that pace of life. Do you write for a San Diego paper?

Jody, coconut lime cookies sound incredible. I will have to try that!

Melody, I'll give the mung bean recipe with my next post. Remind me if I forget!

Megan the Vegan, you should definitely make a volleyball cake! I'd be happy to give you some pointers when you're ready to make it!

07 August, 2006 17:24  
Blogger Dori said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Awesome looking cake. I love asian rolls like that! Great vegan food inspiration!

07 August, 2006 17:44  
Blogger Urban Vegan said...

What a feast for the eyes. You are truly amazing with your cakes. With everything you cook, actually.

07 August, 2006 19:18  
Blogger krispycheks said...

Your blog is making me painfully hungry! OMG, it all looks incredible! Your baking is beautiful and your meals look so savory.... excuse me while I mop up my drool...

08 August, 2006 14:10  
Anonymous Amy said...

I am from Philly, now living in Austin.
Just found your Blog.
My husband has been dreaming of vegan bread pudding for months and I have not been able to find a good recipe.
Would you be willing to share yours???
Thanks,
-Amy

19 December, 2006 14:42  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home